For those who struggle with addiction to drugs or alcohol, the most effective approaches to treatment involve ongoing support. 12-step programs are a widely used type of recovery support. The most widely known 12-step program is Alcoholics Anonymous, which are free meetings where individuals can share their experiences in recovery and support each other in their efforts to maintain sobriety.
At TruHealing Hagerstown we offer group therapy sessions based on the 12-step approach as part of our comprehensive treatment plans. In these sessions, individuals in recovery learn about addiction, develop the tools they need for long-term sobriety, and discover how to rebuild relationships. Addiction can cause damage to your physical health, finances, employment status, and relationships with loved ones. The 12-step approach is just one way that we help our clients heal.
What Are the 12 Steps?
The 12 steps that are used in these programs are designed to help participants through a set of actions that will help them maintain sobriety. A core principle of all 12-step programs is that addiction is a disease and that while it can be managed successfully, it’s important to acknowledge that staying sober can require an ongoing commitment.
The 12 steps include:
- Acknowledging and admitting powerlessness over addiction
- Coming to believe that a higher power can help in recovery
- Deciding to turn control over to the care of a higher power
- Making a searching and fearless moral inventory
- Admitting to the higher power, to themselves, and to others the exact nature of wrongs
- Being ready to allow the higher power to remove character defects
- Asking the higher power to remove shortcomings
- Making a list of all the people that have been harmed due to addiction and showing the willingness to make amends to them all
- Making direct amends whenever possible, except when to do so would injure themselves or others
- Continuing to take a personal inventory and promptly admitting wrongs
- Using prayer and meditation to ask for strength and humility
- Carrying this message of hope to other individuals struggling with addiction
Although Alcoholics Anonymous is the most widely known organization that uses the 12-step approach, there are other organizations that use the 12 steps, such as Narcotics Anonymous, to help those struggling with other kinds of addiction.
Those who are not religious do not necessarily have to acknowledge a higher power that is associated with a specific religion. At TruHealing Hagerstown, our clients are encouraged to connect with spirituality in a way that fits their beliefs.
The 12-Step Approach and Addiction Treatment
The 12-step approach can be incredibly helpful for those in recovery. It can help you gain perspective on your journey to sobriety as you listen to the experiences of others. It also allows you to help those who are just beginning on their road to recovery. You’ll find support, accountability, and inner strength through these meetings. In addition, even after leaving treatment at TruHealing Hagerstown, you can find 12-step meetings in your area that can provide support as you re-enter everyday life.
Long-lasting recovery is possible. If you are ready to make a change, reach out to TruHealing Hagerstown today.
TruHealing Hagerstown: Personalized Addiction Treatment
TruHealing Hagerstown offers residential treatment for those who are struggling with addiction to drugs or alcohol. In our peaceful, supportive recovery center, you’ll find support from our experienced team members and your peers in recovery. Through group and individual therapy, you’ll find the healthy coping skills you need to maintain your sobriety long-term. We’ll meet you where you are. Reach out to TruHealing Hagerstown today at 833.297.4343 to learn more.
Where Addiction Ends and Recovery Begins
Our addiction specialists are always ready to answer your questions and help you access the care you need. Every patient in our care receives a personalized treatment plan that takes into account their unique needs.
Lets Recover Together.
WE’RE ONE CALL AWAY.
Start TruHealing Today